Graduate Marketing Executive
HNC, HND, Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
Marketing market research and PR
Caithness and Sutherland
£16,000 per annum
- Ref code
The Mackay Hotel Company Ltd, who operate two hotels in Caithness – the Castletown Hotel near Thurso and Norseman Hotel in Wick - are recruiting for a graduate for a 12 month Marketing role to work between both hotels. The role will involve developing
and implementing a marketing and sales plan to improve ratings on third party websites such as tripadvisor, booking.com and laterooms as well as managing social media. Because the role will involve working between the 2 hotels, it is essential that the graduate
has a driving licence and access to a car.
The project is to research a marketing strategy that best suits the company and its planned developments. It will also involve implementing a robust sales and marketing function that reflects the ambitions of the company and assists in maintaining the current growth trends and the forecasted future growth. The project will include market research, data capture and control, ecommerce development, event planning, revenue and rate development.
The successful graduate will be responsible for:
• Responsible for providing project specific research support to the Mackay Hotels Co. Ltd.
• Proactively researching sales leads to achieve an agreed number of appointments for the MD to follow through.
• Develop and maintain a database of sales leads.
• Identify and research new business leads in weddings, conferences, and functions.
• Design and develop marketing promotions, including social media, direct mailings, merchandising and point of sale interactions that will support Mackay Hotels Co. Ltd achieve its market penetration goals.
• Assist with the preparation of hospitality events, sales and familiarisation trips.
• Develop a fully costed advertising plan, based on research, and present your recommendations to the Mackay Hotels Co. Ltd Board of Directors.
• Represent the front-line marketing capacity at Mackay Hotels Co. Ltd for day-to-day enquiry handling & recording.
• Responsible for developing a portfolio of accounts with targets for income generation, assigned by the MD.
• Review, critique and present recommendations that will increase the sales return from the Mackay Hotels Co. Ltd web presence by at least 15% in 12 months.
• Monitor, on a monthly basis, the Company’s e-commerce performance.
• Responsible for proactive sales.
• Responsible for handling & recording all enquiries before, during and after events at Mackay Hotels Co. Ltd.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Skills / Experience
• Degree in sales and marketing gained at 2:2 minimum
• Excellent IT literacy including the Microsoft office suite
• Some previous experience gained within the hospitality sector.
• Excellent communication skills, including a professional and friendly manner.
• Demonstrable interpersonal skills
• Strong organisational skills
• Ability to develop and maintain relationships, e.g. colleagues, contacts, clients, guests, customers, suppliers, vendors, etc
• Able to work collaboratively with other hotel departments with the aim of delivering exceptional customer service
• Able to understand and be understood in verbal and written communications with others • Excellent English language speaker
• Demonstrable talent in the fields of social media and e-commerce
• Previous experience in sales and marketing
• An understanding of contractual agreements and legal implications
As part of this ScotGrad Graduate Placement Programme, the candidate will benefit from support from a team within Highlands and Islands Enterprise and also access a four day residential course training focussed on employability and business skills. This
role is part of a 12-month development programme that forms an introduction to Hospitality Marketing. Specific delivery targets and objectives will be assigned on appointment and monitored on an agreed basis at intervals spanning 12 months.
As part of ScotGrad Graduate Placement Programme, the successful candidate will have access to a free two day business and employability skills residential course and also benefit from ongoing support from the ScotGrad team throughout the duration of the placement.
Mackay Hotel Company Ltd (MHC) is a family business operating two hotels in Caithness. Formed in 2007 with the purchase of the 24 bedroom Castletown Hotel the company turned a loss making hotel into profitable from year 1. It has seen its turnover grow
each year. The addition of the 48 bedroom Norseman Hotel in Wick transformed the turnover of the company by 200%, originally leased for two years the Norseman was added to the Company’s Assets in October 2012. The market mix of our customers is varied, in
the summer both hotels rely on Coach Tours and Tourists visiting the area from the domestic market and overseas, during the winter months both hotels accommodate business travellers to the area. Local trade is very important to the business and Weddings in
Wick is a crucial part of the business mix coupled with dining for special occasions and general meals.