Facts About Sponsorship
Here are some interesting facts about obtaining a sponsorship licence for someone from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- It only costs £536 for a small or medium sized company to apply for a sponsor licence;
- It only takes 6 - 8 weeks to process a sponsor licence application;
- A sponsor licence is valid for 4 years and can be used to hire international graduates and international talent to help fill skill shortages and grow your business;
- Once you are a registered “sponsor” you can use your licence to sponsor any number of candidates and only costs £184/199 each time;
- Non-EU applicants who are studying in the UK can transition from the study visa (Tier 4) to a working visa (Tier 2) without you having to advertise the job;
- There are certain jobs which are considered shortage occupations and can be filled by non-EU applicants without advertising the role and regardless of skill level.
- Non-EU applicants moving from Tier 4 to Tier 2 visas can be paid a "new entrant" salary currently set at a minimum of £20,800 (as at 6th April 2017) or for Tier 2 (Intra company transfer), £23,000 for a Graduate Trainee (as at 6th April 2017).
- It only takes 3 - 4 weeks for a candidate to get their visa approved after you issue their online “Certificate of Sponsorship”;
- Sponsoring visa is great for employee retention – employees visas are directly related to their employment, meaning they can only work for the employer on their visa application.
To find out more about sponsor licences visit the TalentScotland website.