CAD Design Engineer
0 Application(s) to date
HNC, HND, Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
Engineering manufacturing and production
- Ref code
Wallace McDowall Ltd is a sub-contract engineering company based in South Ayrshire. To assist us with developing our design team and expanding to meet customers needs we are looking to hire a talented and committed graduate to take on the role of CAD Design Engineer. This role will expand on relationships that are already in place with existing customers and look to build new exciting projects with potential customers.
Our large customer base is increasingly turning to us to provide them with a technical solution with various design concepts. We have acquitted ourselves well and have found success, so much so that we have created a niche area for ourselves and this sets us apart from our competitors.
We now see this as a potential area of growth in the next two to three years but we have to be able to cope with the increased demand that this will bring.
To address this need, this project will see you utilise our comprehensive machinery on site to fabricate to customers concepts/designs/ideas. Utilising your theory based knowledge and transforming it into practical fabrications to meet the customers expectations.
We fully expect this to be become a permanent position and hope to see an increase of turnover of the company by 5%.
You are expected to liaise directly with clients/customers, understand their project brief, and to feedback pictorial representations which can then be translated into manufacturing drawings for our up to date machinery to produce the components.
Utilise the CAD software and create designs which are capable of being produced within our facility. Providing customer support from analysis of designs to practicality of producing cost effective components.
In addition, you will liaise directly with clients/customers, understand their project brief, and to feedback pictorial representations which can then be translated into manufacturing drawings for our up to date machinery to produce the components.
CAD Concept & presentations:
- To produce concept drawings for customer approval and quotations.
- To create model parts, sub-assemblies, multi-part assemblies and projects in Autodesk Inventor
- To be able to produce information from drawings for a variety of end users, skilled and unskilled in all areas of the business from manufacturing, Sales and purchasing
- Create full manufacturing drawings from Autodesk Inventor Models, for a wide variety of manufacturing processes and manual assembly
- Perform FEA analysis of models to ensure that they are safe, cost effective and meet customer’s requirements
- Work with and understand customer brief(s), if necessary visit customer site and establish details and take measurements
- Understand legal, statutory requirements such as, but not limited to, EU directives, EN standard requirements and current health and safety law
- Support to colleagues and management team as required. But, also to extend this to the customers of the company
Checking details of drawings:
- To check own projects for accuracy and completeness before handover to production and purchasing
- Ensure project files, meeting records, hours log and technical information are kept up to date
- To produce associated design documentation including, bills of materials, parts lists and project files
- Key to the role is a good knowledge of product development
- Manufacturing and production techniques and systems, industry standards and best practice for the company line in addition to the knowledge of CAD techniques and systems
Ideally you will have a 2:1 degree to BSC or BEng. We are also happy to recieve applications from candidates with an HND Mechanical Engineering/CAD Design or an HNC Mechanical Engineering.
Skills / Experience
- Comfortable with 3D modelling software
- Competent at producing fabrication drawings
- Work well under own initiative
- Excellent communication skills
- First class IT skills
- Ability to perform FEA Analysis of Assemblies and perform calculations
- Proficient in AutoCad Inventor 3D software
- Project Management skills
- An understanding of Legal & statutory requirements
- Background in metal fabrication
We are an Investor in People and Investor in Young People certified business.
Our people are exceptionally important to us and this exciting project will see you gain experience in working within the private sector for one of the largest sub-contact engineering companies in Scotland.
As part of your ScotGrad placement, you will be able to participate in two courses, one online and the other is classroom based. The courses are themed around digital marketing and sales and will provide you with knowledge and skills which will enhance your current and future employability prospects.
ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to make use of the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities and build up a professional network
Prestwick, South Ayrshire
18th November 2019
Wallace McDowall was established over 47 years ago as a sheet metal fabricator. Over the years, as customer requirements have grown, we have grown into one of the UK's leading sub-contract engineering companies.
Our philosophy is one of continual development of our highly skilled workforce and investing in new technology. You can be sure of the right mix of skills and equipment to match you
Company website: www.wallacemcdowall.com