Business Development Graduate
HNC, HND, Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
£23,000 per annum
- Ref code
Based on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, Uig Lodge hand-produce award winning Scottish Smoked Salmon, distributing throughout the UK and worldwide.
There is now an excellent opportunity for a 12-month graduate placement to research and develop a new product range for the business.
The successful candidate will research, develop and test a brand new product range for Uig Lodge.
Specific tasks of the placement will include:
- Research products already on offer in this sector. Familiarisation with current business, processes and operations.
- Review products identified with the team and select the most suitable product to progress with.
- Recipe testing, costing, ingredients. Carry out shelf-life testing and establish requirements for compliance with relevant food safety regulations
- Research packaging options and machinery requirements
- Establish branding, labelling for the new product range.
- Conduct market testing on the new product, speaking to buyers, consumers, feedback from trade fairs, tastings.
- Assess scalability and production facilities available.
- Research machinery and equipment required Incorporating streamlined processes and implementing best practice HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) procedures.
- Compile final report.
For informal enquiries regarding this position please contact Elly Green on 01851672250.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Minimum HNC related to Business Studies, Marketing. Other subjects accepted provided the candidate has the required skills.
Skills / Experience
- Team-player but also able to work on own initiative.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- A passion for quality food.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Knowledge of marketing and branding.
- Ability to prioritise and multi-task.
- Commitment to project completion
- A keen interest in food production.
- Prior experience or desire to learn more about food production.
This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate gain hands on experience in product development, and a chance to live and work community in a beautiful location on the Isle of Lewis.
An integral part of the ScotGrad Graduate Placement Programme is the tailored 4-day residential graduate business skills training course. ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to use ScotGrad’s networks to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities, including any relevant networking events and build up a professional network.
Isle of Lewis
Uig Lodge have been producing Smoked Salmon since 1984, distributing to restaurants, hotels and delis. They are now looking to develop a new range of value-added salmon and shellfish products.
Food and Drink
Company website: https://www.uiglodge.co.uk/