Staff Scientist Grade 1 / 2 - R and D Support
0 Application(s) to date
Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
Science and environment
£18,000 - £22,000
- Ref code
Sistemic is a cutting edge, rapidly expanding SME pioneering the use of microRNAs as cell characterisation analytes in the stem cell therapy space, for applications such as safety, purity, identity and potency. We have an internal R&D project supporting the further development of our SistemPSCCheck™ v1.0 to a v2.0 product. We require to hire a life sciences graduate to support development of this new product. This is a 12 month placement, with the potential to develop into a permanent role.
We have developed SistemPSCCheck™ v1.0 droplet digital (ddPCR) assay, which is a first-in-class microRNA (miRNA)-based safety assay for the highly sensitive assessment of residual undifferentiated PSCs in derived cell therapies.
This project will provide support for the continued development of our SistemPSCCheck™ product. Working alongside our Science Team, you will gain experience across many elements of assay and product development. Sistemic offers excellent opportunities for career and personal development.
The role provides the opportunity to work as part of a multidisciplinary team and gain experience in many varied aspects of working in a rapidly developing company.
Working with the Sistemic Science Team, the person appointed will facilitate continued research and development of our SistemPSCCheck™ product v1.0 to v2.0.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Bringing expertise and contributing to R&D strategy and project design, alongside the Sistemic Science Team
- Supporting R&D techniques and methodologies to further enhance SistemPSCCheck™ assay sensitivity
- Sample processing and quality control analyses
- Experimental planning and design
- Analysis of samples to test new techniques and methodologies for SistemPSCCheck™
- Data analyses and quality control
- Data reporting to Senior Science Team
- Accurate maintenance of both paper and electronic laboratory and data records
You will ideally be a recent PhD graduate in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or a related discipline.
This placement may also be suitable for a recent honours or masters graduate.
Skills / Experience
- Ability to write and follow detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Expertise in RNA molecular biology, preferably having worked with microRNA
- Hands on experience performing QPCR and/or ddPCR experiments and analysis
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- The ability to maintain meticulous laboratory records
- Experience using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and GraphPad Prism
- The capacity to work effectively with minimal supervision as part of the laboratory and project teams
- The ability to effectively communicate with people both internal and external to the company
- Experience with Roche LightCycler QPCR platform
- Experience with BioRad QX200 droplet digital (dd)PCR platform
- Knowledge of stem cell biology
- Experience of diagnostic assay development for QPCR and/or ddPCR
- Experience of working with techniques for detection of low copy number transcripts and/or selection/enrichment of low cell numbers e.g. circulating tumour cells
As part of your placement, you will gain a broad range of experiences through working in a small, close-knit team. Opportunities will be presented internally and as part of the placement to encourage further training and personal development.
As part of your ScotGrad placement, you will be able to participate in a couple of training courses mainly online, and one classroom based. The courses are themed around environmental management and quality standards and will provide you with knowledge and skills which will enhance your current and future skills.
ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to make use of the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities and build up a professional network.
This placement may result in a permanent employment afterwards
Sistemic’s primary business is focused on providing innovative micro-RNA-based problem-solving services and products to areas of unmet need within Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology and the Cell and Gene Therapy research, development and manufacturing markets.
Company website: www.sistemic.co.uk
0141 946 9682