Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
Engineering manufacturing and production
- Ref code
Based in Orkney, Orcades Marine Ltd was established in 2010 and provide services to the marine renewable sector; wave, tide and floating wind and solar. We now have an exciting 12 month placement for a Graduate Naval Architect. The successful candidate will undertake analysis into mooring floating structures through the use of Proteus DS mooring software. In addition, the placement will require you to work with the wider team to undertake research and development (R&D) into new products.
With the use of Proteus DS mooring software the successful candidate will be required to review and verify mooring designs and subsequent loading on to structures in accordance to international guidelines. You will use your knowledge and technical skills to help Orcades Marine to develop new products within the marine renewables sector. This will help support our growth ambitions and trade more effectively internationally.
There will be an opportunity to use mooring software such as Orcaflex, and gain an understanding of the current industry guidelines such as DNVGL and IEC standards.
For informal enquiries regarding this position please contact David Thomson, E: firstname.lastname@example.org or T: 07775424624.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Specific tasks of the placement will include:
- Use of Proteus DS mooring software to undertake analysis.
- Utilise up to date knowledge to contribute to the research and development of new products in the sector.
- Work with the wider team to gain practical experience.
- Undertake site inspections of moorings and structures.
- Share skills and knowledge with the wider team, as well as creating a handover document.
- Use other mooring software such as Orcaflex for comparison purposes.
- Develop an understanding of the current industry guidelines such as DNVGL and IEC standards.
Minimum Degree in Naval Architectural Studies or equivalent. Other subjects accepted provided the candidate has the required skills.
Skills / Experience
- Naval architectural degree or equivalent.
- Ability to conduct analysis using mooring software.
- Able to organize their work with minimum supervision
- Enthusiastic about the project and confident in their ability to deliver a successful outcome.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Attention to detail.
- Willing to relocate to Orkney, if applicable.
- Clean driving licence.
- Commitment to complete the 12 month placement.
- A good working knowledge of the maritime industry and marine renewables.
- Project management knowledge.
The successful candidate will benefit from:
- Formal training in the software.
- Sports centre membership at the Pickaquoy Centre.
Upon successful completion of the project the graduate placement may result in permanent employment, should the candidate meet Orcades Marine’s needs, be a good fit with the core team and would like to develop his or her career with Orcades Marine.
As part of the ScotGrad Graduate Placement Programme, you will have access to a tailored graduate business skills training course. ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to use the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities, including any relevant networking events and build up a professional network.
Orcades Marine Ltd has a track record as a leading provider of project management and consultancy services. We operate in the marine renewable energy sector, as well as the shipping and port industry. Our team has a breadth of skills and experience including project management of offshore installations, vessel auditing/management, ship inspection, third party verification, while complying with Port Marine Safety standards. We work with a diverse range of clients across the wave and tidal renewable energy sector, as well as harbour authorities, shipping companies and marine insurance institutions.
Aerospace, Defence and Marine
Company website: www.orcadesmarine.co.uk