0 Application(s) to date
HND, Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
Engineering manufacturing and production
- Ref code
Kongsberg Maritime is a major supplier of ship technology and systems. Over 30,000 ships are sailing with Kongsberg products and systems today. This placement will be located within our Motion Control department, specifically focusing on stabilisers and steering products. From luxury yachts and cruise ships to merchant vessels and naval ships, our products have a reputation for in-service quality and reliability. Our goal is to continuously improve and innovate, and that is where you come in.
Our Engineering team is involved throughout the sale and delivery of products to our customers, from capturing customers’ technical requirements through to generating applications drawings and procedure packages and overseeing testing in our factory or at the shipyard. From ‘cradle to grave’ of the product lifecycle we identify opportunities for improvement and come up with new, innovative ideas. Furthermore, while we have a large order book for today’s product range, in order to continue to delight our customers and to grow our business we need innovation for tomorrow’s product range.
The aims of this project are twofold: (1) to implement identified improvements in our products and processes, and (2) to contribute to developing future product concepts.
To gain experience and to develop a working knowledge of our products you will also undertake work applying our existing product designs to new build ship orders and provide support for products that are already in service. There will be some bespoke design work to meet customer requirements.
The exact projects that you will support will depend on your academic specialism (for example, mechanical or electrical), but could include the following responsibilities:
- Working with the Engineering and Operations teams to implement improvements in our product designs and/or manufacturing processes.
- Designing future products and/or systems to grow our portfolio.
- Preparing customer requirements documents, technical proposals and scope of supply information for estimating/purchasing purposes.
- Producing detailed drawings required for the manufacture and support of the product.
- Producing support documentation such as Bills of Material.
- Conducting calculations and MATLAB simulation as necessary to meet contract requirements.
- Maintaining and updating drawings and documentation in accordance with company procedures.
- Maintaining and updating controls system Siemens PLC Software.
- Providing technical support to internal and external customers as required.
- Complying with company health, safety and environmental manuals and policies.
HND or degree in Engineering.
Skills / Experience
- Demonstrated ability to deliver under challenging circumstances.
- MS Office or equivalent working skills.
- Self-motivated and prepared to use own initiative.
- Process-oriented with a focus on quality – right first time.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Team player with good interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic.
- Design-office calculations using a range of tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of manufacturing procedures, welding, machine shop, casting & forging techniques.
- Experience with Siemens S7 Portal or other PLC programming environment.
- MATLAB and Simulink.
- 3D modelling and 2D design and drafting.
- Finite element analysis.
- Use of MRP / ERP systems.
Training in specific computer programs can be arranged as necessary for successful candidates.
As part of your ScotGrad placement, you will be able to participate in a couple of training courses mainly online, and one classroom based. The courses are themed around environmental management and quality standards and will provide you with knowledge and skills which will enhance your current and future skills.
ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to make use of the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities and build up a professional network.
Dalgety Bay, Fife
W/C 30th September
This placement may result in a permanent employment afterwards
21st October 2019
Kongsberg Maritime is a division of Kongsberg Group. Kongsberg is a leading global technology corporation delivering mission-critical solutions to customers within maritime, oil and gas, space and defence industries.
Aerospace, Defence and Marine
Company website: https://www.kongsberg.com/