Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
Science and environment
- Ref code
Based in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis, Hebridean Seaweed Company processes fresh seaweed into high quality environmentally friendly organic seaweed products. They have recently developed a new process that involves turning fresh seaweed into a powder which can be reconstituted with water and used as a crop spray.
There is now an excellent opportunity for a 12-month graduate placement. The graduate chemist will be responsible for setting up the laboratory and implementing all the quality control systems required for the new process.
Specific tasks of the placement will include:
- Setting up a new laboratory within the production facility.
- Developing and implementing analytical methods and quality control procedures for the new process.
- Carrying out process optimisation experiments.
- Specifying quality requirements of raw materials with suppliers.
- Determining, and agreeing in-house quality procedures, standards and specifications.
- Ensuring that manufacturing processes comply with standards at both national and international level.
- Identifying potential R & D project opportunities
- Recording, analysing and distributing statistical information to customers.
For informal enquiries regarding this position please contact Malcolm Macrae on 01851703278.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Minimum Degree level in a science-based subject.
Skills / Experience
- Practical laboratory experience.
- Good attention to detail.
- High degree of computer literacy.
- Excellent written and numeracy skills.
- Problem solving ability.
- Good communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative but also as part of a team.
- Driving licence.
- Knowledge of quality control procedures and requirements.
Upon successful completion of the project it is hoped that the graduate placement would result in permanent employment, should the candidate meet company’s needs, be a good fit with the core team and would like to develop his or her career in this field.
An integral part of the ScotGrad Graduate Placement Programme is the tailored 4-day residential graduate business skills training course. ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to use ScotGrad’s networks to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities, including any relevant networking events and build up a professional network.
Isle of Lewis
Established in 2005, Hebridean Seaweed Company directly harvests natural seaweed in a sustainable way to develop high value products for crop, animal and human nutrition. The company is currently looking to create a research and development department aiming to be at the forefront of innovation in seaweed processing.
Company website: http://www.hebrideanseaweed.co.uk