Science or Engineering Project Graduate
0 Application(s) to date
Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
Engineering manufacturing and production
- Ref code
Chemring Energetics UK Ltd (CEUK) has a placement for a graduate to contribute to a significant development programme. The programme is focused on the removal of lead-based materials from a wide product range in support of long term business sustainability and growth. This is a 12 month placement based in North Ayrshire, and offers the opportunity of a permanent position for the right candidate.
Lead, at an elemental level, has been placed on the European Chemicals Agency's candidate list for authorisation as a substance of very high concern. A key area of focus within the energetics sector is the inclusion of particular lead-salts on the candidate list, which are expected to be added to Annex XIV, i.e. the authorisation list, of REACH by the end of 2019 with anticipated ‘sunset’ dates of 2025. These lead-salts are used extensively by CEUK as initiatory materials within devices which are used in life-critical applications such as commercial aircraft oxygen release systems and fire suppression systems.
The purpose of this project is to develop and validate a wide range of products using ‘green’, sustainable, lead-free alternative materials.
During the placement, you will carry out analysis using relevant tools, report findings, and implement design and process improvement actions. The nature of the project will require the candidate to spend time in laboratory, manufacturing and test areas, as well as being office based. In addition the preparation of drawings, specifications, manufacturing documentation, test reports, risk assessments, and bills of materials and routings will be necessary.
Provide engineering support in the development of lead-free products across the CEUK range. The overall project is focussed on the removal of lead from all products to ensure CEUK remain the supplier of choice in current and emerging markets in the future.
- Develop an understanding of the role of energetic materials within CEUK products in support of developing the product range to contain ‘green’ lead-free alternatives
- Plan, conduct, analyse, and report results from trials (includes root cause analysis, design of experiments etc)
- Management of engineering documentation: drawings, specifications, operating instructions etc
- Monitoring and analysis of product performance, ensuring quality standards are achieved
- Management of non-conformance issues, implementing corrective and preventative measures
- Remove barriers quickly and effectively to maintain project momentum
- Ensuring all project activities are risk assessed and conducted in line with CEUK Health and Safety standards
- Managing relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Management of bills of materials and product routings through the ERP system
You should have at least a 2.1 degree in an engineering or science discipline.
Skills / Experience
- Ability to cooperate and work well within a team, as well as in isolation when required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter, and the ability to self-manage your workload
- Responsibility and accountability for delivering solutions on time
- A strong multi-tasker with the ability to prioritise conflicting deadlines
- Previous experience of a similar project engineering role, either during or post-study
CEUK offers a competitive salary plus excellent benefits, including pension, healthcare, an employee assistance programme as well as a range of flexible benefits including Cycle2work and several local and national employee discounts. Also, where practical, we will support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle which could include the ability to flex your start and stop times or part time/condensed hours to assist with your work, life, balance.
As part of your ScotGrad placement, you will be able to participate in two courses, one online and the other is classroom based. The courses are themed around digital marketing and sales and will provide you with knowledge and skills which will enhance your current and future employability prospects.
ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to make use of the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities and build up a professional network.
This placement may result in a permanent employment afterwards
Chemring Energetics UK is highly skilled in design, manufacture, assembly, testing and through-life support of energetic technologies. We apply our extensive expertise, including our mechanical and electronic capabilities, to produce explosive and propellant products that meet our customers demanding applications.
Company website: https://www.chemring.co.uk/about-us/our-business/chemring-energetics-uk