Health Safety and Quality Graduate (HSEQ)
0 Application(s) to date
HND, Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
Science and environment
£22,000 - £25,000
- Ref code
Following a period of sustained growth, we have an exciting opportunity for a suitably qualified Health & Safety Graduate to join our company, with the aim of developing all health & safety and quality requirements within the business. This is an excellent opportunity for a graduate to play an integral part of the rapidly expanding business in the undertaking of specialist intelligent building system installations. This is a 12 month placement initially and will be based in Glasgow.
Future business success is dependent on maintaining high standards and leveraging the wealth of experience and knowledge across all areas of the business. Integration of this experience and knowledge is integral to the future health of Boston Group.
As part of Integration, our plan is to align and develop core functions, one of which is Health & Safety. Currently this function doesn't have a dedicated resource and tasks are carried out on an ad-hoc basis by several individuals within the business.
This project aims to enhance and improve our overall health & safety activities.
This project aims to deliver an Improved process with the integration and alignment of a set of dispirit H&S processes:
- Build a safer workforce who are working to current legislation and best practice standards
- Reduction in RIDORs and resultant productivity, burden on medical services
- Increase in wellbeing of employees
- Build a robust H&S and Quality standard and record
- Build a compliant quality standard across the group of companies
Reporting to the COO, you will be tasked with leading on a number of project tasks which are key to us developing and improving this crucial area of our operations.
There will be several distinct phases to this project:
- Comprehensive review of existing H&S strategy and practices
- Develop a 3 – 5 year H&S Strategy for the group
- Develop robust practices to underpin Strategy
- Develop key matrices to ensure delivery of Strategy
- Build an implantation plan to roll out H&S Strategy
- Define key milestones and deliverables
- Define H&S Organisation Structure to ensure continuation of H&S principles across the group
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Overall responsibility and compliance of the Company’s H&S, making sure staff are aware of the importance and follow safety protocol
- Advise Boston Group members on all aspects of Health & Safety
- Elect and set up H&S representative meetings as per statutory requirements
- Create & provide monthly report for use at Boston Group Board meeting
- Provide assistance and H&S content to support Boston Group bid / tender function
- Implement practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices in the workplace
- Conduct/organise relevant health and safety training for staff as required, including first aid and fire safety
- Conduct all “risk assessments” as required by legislation and are reviewed at relevant intervals and to maintain records of the same
- Carry out internal and compliance audits of all Boston Group sites; report on findings and manage issue log through to completion
- Carry out all risk assessments and special assessments for each Boston Group site as required by business, including display screen equipment, manual handling, lone working, fork lift loading, pregnant workers, young workers etc
- Co-ordinate and manage first aid and fire safety representatives for all Boston Group sites
- To recommend and implement control measures and advise on the standard of P.P.E. issued to employees
- To carry out investigations into all accidents and near-miss incidents and to record the findings on the relevant forms
- Advise the COO, Regional Managing Directors & Operation Managers of all incidents reportable under R.I.D.D.O.R
- Conduct health and safety inspections and prepare reports and documents as required
- To identify areas where training/certification is required to meet the standards imposed by Legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, or H.S.E. guidance
- Arrange such training/certification once identified
- Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and implement such changes where relevant
- Bring to the attention of the Leadership Team any relevant new legislation
- Liaise with the Facilities Co-ordinator to establish contractor health & safety procedures
You will be qualified in occupational health and safety, such as a masters, NVQ, BSC or NEBOSH.
Skills / Experience
You should be driven, self-motivated and capable of working independently and as part of a team with excellent organisational and communications skills with a desire to complete all tasks to the highest standards.
In addition, you will possess the following skills:
- Understand the application of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and other legislation relevant to the Companies business
- Have a recognised qualification in Quality Management Systems
- Appreciation of confidentiality and discretion
- Have strong organisational or administrative skills with attention to detail and a methodical approach
- Focused on delivering outstanding customer service to the Boston internal customers and contractors
- IT literate and a comprehensive understanding of Windows based programmes to include Word, Excel and Outlook is essential
- The ability to communicate clearly and confidently with a range of people, both on the phone and face-to-face
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Multi-site experience
- Professional in their approach to dealing with issues and employees
- Workplace Pension
- 20 days holiday
- 37.5 hours per week
As part of your ScotGrad placement, you will be able to participate in a couple of training courses mainly online, and one classroom based. The courses are themed around environmental management and quality standards and will provide you with knowledge and skills which will enhance your current and future skills.
ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a vast network of graduates and ScotGrad alumni. All graduates appointed through the programme are encouraged to make use of the ScotGrad LinkedIn group to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities and build up a professional network.
This placement may result in a permanent employment afterwards
13th May 2019
Tech or Advanced Engineering (TAE)
Company website: https://www.bostonnetworks.co.uk/