HNC, HND, Undergraduate Degree, Postgraduate Degree
- Closing Date:
Engineering manufacturing and production
Inverness and Surrounds
£9.50 per hour
- Ref code
Based in Inverness, 4c Engineering provide mechanical engineering consultancy with a focus on innovation & development of new technology.
There is now an exciting opportunity for a 12-week student placement to review and assess a list of ideas for potential new products or technologies, generating a report identifying those for possible future development and commercialisation.
Specific tasks of the placement will include:
- Introduction to 4c Engineering. Review and agree the methodology going forward.
- Idea gathering and collation, creating initial Ideas Input List.
- Initial assessment of the above list, conducting online research relating to competitors, existing solutions, market etc for each one. Produce an Ideas Feasibility Report, then work with the team to narrow the list down to four robust proposals.
- In depth analysis of final four ideas, producing an Innovation Development report for each. Further review to identify final project to progress.
- Progression of nominated project to trial phase.
- Produce final report, incorporating documentation generated throughout the placement.
For informal enquiries regarding this position please contact Peter Macdonald on 01463 227565.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Open to all current undergraduate degree students who will return to their studies after the summer. Preferred subjects Mechanical, Product Design, Aerospace, Electro-Mechanical, or Manufacturing Engineering.
Skills / Experience
- Excellent IT and technical skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative.
- Fast learner.
- Good understanding of engineering terminology.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to present information in a concise manner, and produce written reports.
- Commitment to project completion
- CAD (computer aided design) skills
- Interest in renewable/sustainable engineering
- Materials knowledge/interest
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to discover how the operational aspect of engineering is affected by design choices. It also allows them to get some solid industry experience, involved in a project at the heart of an innovative engineering company.
An integral part of the ScotGrad Student Placement Programme is the tailored 2-day residential graduate business skills training course. ScotGrad placements also offer a unique opportunity to connect with a network of students and ScotGrad alumni. All students appointed through the programme are encouraged to use ScotGrad’s networks to communicate with other ScotGrad participants, learn about any professional development opportunities, including any relevant networking events and build up a professional network.
4c Engineering is an engineering and technology development company that thrives on delivering solutions to the most challenging of problems.
Tech or Advanced Engineering (TAE)
Company website: www.4cengineering.co.uk